Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Monday, March 30, 2009

Allison C. Campbell, San Jose


Dear President Obama,

I currently live in San Jose, CA in a motel due to the lack of low income housing available to me and due to problems with my credit history. Landlords are not willing to take a chance when it comes to those who have had problems with credit, and there are not enough landlords willing to accept those making less than needed income due to lower wages. I was laid off from a higher- paying job and because of this difficulty, my credit is shot and I have been forced to accept a lower-wage job. Therefore I find myself in this position: not able to afford higher rent rates and less than perfect credit. When speaking to friends around me, I find this is a common occurrence.

The major problem facing this administration is of course homelessness for those who have nothing, but I want to point out an additional issue concerning housing. There are many more people (working poor) whom if given the chance and the opportunity, could afford to function in this society if there were only more low income housing available. We ask only to be given the opportunity to prove ourselves in our desire not to get handouts, but only to be given hand ups.

Although it is true, section 8 vouchers would allow those who have no hope to be given an open doorway to a home, and I wholeheartedly agree with this, I also would ask that you consider more low-income housing for those of us still able to stand, save, and contribute but who only need the opportunity.

The very fact that I can write this letter to someone with the power of the office that you hold attests to the fact that God's work is at hand in you. You are such a blessing to those who have up to this point had no voice. You have our deepest prayers as you go forward with the work chosen by God for you to do. Also we pray for blessings for your family and friends. Thank you for the opportunity to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment