Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rita Magana, San Jose


I lived in an apartment in Santa Clara. My rent was $600.00 for a spacious one-bedroom. The City of Santa Clara very generously relocated me for one year due to demolition of the building where I lived. Senior housing will take the place of my old apartment building.

My year is almost up. I know this situation is a blessing, an opportunity to get ahead. I am presently on unemployment and take a computer class at Sacred Heart Community Services. I am seeking employment. I work as a laborer and caregiver for seniors, children, and disabled.

I would like to go back to school to become a nurse. I am in recovery and attend Star of David and other churches. I believe in America and in our people.

I have three children whom I am not raising. I owe child support. I did fight for my children. Unfortunately, I gave unsupervised visits to their father and lost custody. I want to be credible with child support, taxes, and traffic tickets. I can work two jobs.

Low-income help if used properly can rehabilitate Americans to lead stable lives. I will be applying for a low-income apartment. My goal is to further my education. I am sorry for the bad apples who abuse the generosity of this country. I believe in giving back. ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY.

God bless you and yours - God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment