Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Friday, June 19, 2009

Vivian Chavez, San Jose

Dear Mr. President,

I am a 24 year-old single parent of two beautiful little girls ages five and three. I am currently living in a San Jose family shelter. All of my life I have had big dreams, dreams to be and do something big in this world. I have always wanted to have an important impact on people's lives, but I put my dreams on hold the day I became a mother.

I have learned now to put others' dreams before my own. My girls are what matter to me now, and I will live my dreams through them. I have never really had a home all my life, I have just moved from house to house. So now as a parent, that is all I want for my girls, but it is so hard out here. It is hard to find work and hard to find a home.

I have even stopped going to school to become a counselor so that I can look for at least some kind of job right now. I have been on the housing waiting list for about three years now, and they say I won't be called for about another ten years. And my time at the shelter will be up next month.

I am asking for your help for us with housing, for me and my girls, and for others who are in serious need of it.

We deserve a chance and our kids deserve a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment