Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Steve Chehy, San Jose


I am currently homeless, and have been for 15 years, but I have just received my housing voucher. I lost my house in 1992. I had what I learned recently is called a "foreclosure loan" with Home Savings & Loan of San Diego. I had my house for five years until the balloon payment came due and I did not have the resources to refinance. The bank was no help at all and made me feel worthless and wrong that I could not meet my financial obligations. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life, next to the deaths of my parents who passed away six months apart from each other.

1 comment:

  1. Hello...I pray that you are well. After reading your statement, my heart is completely heavy with sorrow. I recognize and remember the other aspects to this situation...nevertheless. Take care.
    May God bless you always!

    Peace and grace to you,
    Syl

    ReplyDelete