Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Melanie Landstrom & Jamie, San Jose


The rental market has gotten very tight because so many people have lost their homes and had to move into rentals. I had to move out of the neighborhood where I lived for two decades because of it. Meanwhile, so many homes sit empty, vacant, and abandoned, and people are living in the streets. I see many homeless people every day.

Also I know families who have lost homes that they lived in a long time and fixed up. I have seen my friends cry in church because they have lost their home, and it is really devastating. It's appalling to me that the banks are being bailed out when they are the ones responsible for this crisis. They are getting big bonuses while there is no moratorium on foreclosures. We should not be bailing out the banks but nationalizing them instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment