Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sandra Cannon, San Jose

I am number 23,140 on the section 8 waiting list in Santa Clara County.

I am in my late 40s and I have a two year-old. I have worked for years just to pay rent and bills. I have been on the waiting list since 2006. Now that I can't afford to pay high rents, I have been forced to either go to a shelter or bunk in with family members (which is very hard on me and my baby).

This system is supposed to be set up to help women like myself who have worked most of their lives, and never been on welfare. I can work for a few hours a week, but I do not make nearly as much as I used to. I need section 8. It was supposed to be set up for women in my situation. I have had to accept less than one third my previous salary just to be able to work at all.

I really need assistance. Please hurry this along, since it is so very much needed. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment