Our letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

Please take action to end America’s affordable housing and homelessness crisis. We need:
  • More section 8 vouchers immediately
  • Build public housing to meet the need
  • Full funding of the National Housing Trust Fund
  • Stop foreclosures

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sister Adrienne Lawton, San Jose


I received a twenty day notice that my rental unit is to be sold on the auction block and that I should contact whatever legal aid, or assistance that I can. The new owners may or may not wish to keep me; therefore, I should be ready with some legal alternatives.

I am a fifty-five year old African American woman who has fought cancer for the last three years, which due to medical neglect, went to stage two before I was helped, and has morphed into fibromyalgia with accompanying migraine headaches.

I have half of the physical capacity of life I had one year ago, and nothing of the life I had before the cancer treatments began. The need is greater than ever for me to serve the community as a Justice Minister/Advocate/Court Community Liaison/Counselor/Mother/Grandmother/ Student/Friend.

I have served the homeless and marginalized in our community for over eleven years, and been a peacemaker and freedom fighter, as my mother and grandmother before me.

I have fallen through dangerous cracks in the medical system, and now the housing crisis is collapsing on my life, but not my faith.

I have a sustaining faith that has moved mountains in my life, and I would like to continue as an example for others who may need to see my faith in action.

In the mean time, my landlords, and other property owners who extend themselves to the Section 8, Housing market, need immediate care; there demise affects the least of God’s people in a dramatic fashion.

Thank you for ending this economic emergency, lives are in your hands,

Sister Adrienne Lawton
Associate Pastor/Board President
CHAM Deliverance Ministry
80 S 5th ST,
San Jose, CA 95112
408-294-4112

No comments:

Post a Comment